Thursday, August 25, 2011

Portrait Paintings vs. Portrait Photography

As I was making a sketch of Marie Antoinette for my digital painting, I couldn’t help but feel frustrated about the lack of references I have of her. The only references I could find are paintings of her. Paintings are not like photos. Photos tell you exactly what the person, or subject, looks like. That’s what portrait paintings lack because artists have their own impression of the subject that they’re painting, and it’s only natural that it’s what they will apply on their canvas. That’s the reason why, even though I’m grateful to the painters for giving me a hint of how Marie Antoinette looked like, I find the fact that I don’t have any reliable reference of her exasperating. Nevertheless, I did the best I could with the references that I already have.


Here's my first attempt at making a portrait of Marie Antoinette:



Here's my second attempt:




4 comments:

  1. well, there are no problem with painting and photography in regards in portrait because they are both art. the difference is that painting are made by hands that needs a very good hand to do it. while photgraphy needs a good idea, concepts and eye on what to take photos.

    ~Check Blood Pressure Device on PulseStore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I must say that you made very good points and I agree with all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both painting are looking beautiful, If someone says to me, who is the best of them, so i don't prefer any one both have fetching look. there is no any doubt that you are a great artist, very nice creativity keep it up.

      Canvas Art

      Delete