Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Beautiful Art of Exotic Dance: Pole Dancing




I watched a youtube video, that’s posted by a friend of mine on Facebook, of an exquisite pole-dancer’s performance. Her name is Jenyne Butterfly. It’s actually the first time I heard of her, and the first time I saw her. Surely it will not be the last time I’ll be watching her performance. She performs exquisitely like a feather in the wind; weightless and gracefully floating. Pole-dancing, I heard, is used to be performed by strippers but now it’s accepted as art, and rightfully so. Not everybody can pole-dance. I, myself, can’t, so I admire people who can do it, much more the people who can do it with excellence and sophistication. Even among pole-dancers that I watched on videos, I can say that Jenyne Butterfly is one of the best, if not the best. I’ve seen some pole-dancers perform but a lot of them don’t have Jenyne Butterfly’s grace. She dances so delicately. As she glides the pole with coolness and ease she seems weightless. I’m a fan of exotic dance. When I was small, I’m very fascinated with belly-dancing. The way the belly dancers move parts of their body, as if each part has their own mind, fascinates me. They remind me of serpentine movements of snakes; very graceful and mesmerizing. I like looking at snakes for that reason, and it's why I like watching dances with serpentine movements. I have a documentary about the “Beauty of Snakes” but I will tackle the subject about snakes soon. For now I’ll go back to pole-dancing. I have heard of Pole-dancing just recently, unlike belly-dancing, which I have heard of, and seen, when I was small. Pole-dancing is an art that not all people have the luxury to learn, whether it’s due to lack of time, or simply the lack of dance schools that offer to teach it, at least here in the Philippines. The only dance studio I know that teaches it is the one in The Fort Manila. Hopefully there will be more dance studios willing to offer this art and hopefully it will lose any stigma associated with it. 

1 comment:

  1. I used to be a stripper in a very religious town with religious family who have spent much more energy trying to cope with the shame they feel I brought them than even thinking about the possibility there may be something positive from exotic dancing. The people I worked with at strip clubs appreciated exotic dance, of course, but a lot did not have a beautiful artistic view like you do. Some had the same negative view my religious family does but got off on the negativity and naturally treated the dance and dancer as a less than human cum rag that deserved every word of disgust thought about it/her. If every strip club and owner and employee saw exotic dancing the way you (and I) do, strip clubs would be renamed 'Exotic Dancing temples' and they would be a massive force of positivity and creativity and peace in the world. Who would want to fight when beautiful women were expressing their own unique interpretation of the most creative and beautiful force in the universe (a woman's sensuality) through the most artistic and organic form: exotic dance?

    ReplyDelete