Tuesday, August 16, 2011

26-foot-tall Marilyn Monroe Statue: A Work of Art



The unveiling of the 26-foot-tall Marilyn Monroe statue both wowed and displeased people. If you ask me, I would say, “WOW”! After the controversy, here in the Philippines, involving CCP with their garbage of an exhibit called “Kulo”, made by a certain Mideo Cruz, the larger-than-life Marilyn Monroe statue is a sight for sore eyes (no pun intended). To me, it’s very artistic. I have a very deep appreciation for artworks, especially those of a human form. The Marilyn Monroe statue is very beautifully made. It’s a classic pose; many women, since Marilyn did it, have tried to imitate this iconic film moment. Yes, I understand that it may be less than appropriate; it’s being displayed in public, especially since many consider Marilyn Monroe as a sexy symbol. The obvious purpose of the original cinematic pose was to be seductive; in this re-enactment, in sculpture, it’s supposed to bring tourism; I hope that it does. I like it. I don’t think it's scandalous. It may not be classy but… it surely is remarkable. People all over the world know who Marilyn Monroe is and that particular pose is simply memorable. It will surely attract tourists. I, myself, want to go to Chicago and see it in real life. I’m not a Marilyn Monroe fan but the way the statue was made; the details, the engineering skills, it’s a masterpiece. An artwork like this would be wasted if kept hidden away. To me, it’s not vulgar. Maybe I’m not scandalized by it as some people are because I appreciate the human form, plus, I find the details amazing; the folds and the flow of the dress, it really seems that the material is made of light fabric and that the wind is actually blowing at it, and the knee caps… they really did a good job with the body; it’s well-proportioned, everything is detailed. The human form is my favorite subject to draw. The underwear is not an issue for me, personally, because nowadays, people have seen bikinis that are far more revealing than this statue’s. Don’t get me wrong, though, I don’t blame the people who are offended by it, I see where they’re coming from and I honestly sympathize with them but, at the same time, I couldn’t help but appreciate the statue, besides that, I have recently seen one of the most despicable eyesores done by that mediocre, Mideo Cruz; an attempt at fame by a pseudo artist via creating a controversy. At least the 26-foot-tall statue of Marilyn Monroe was done from scratch and wasn’t made using the works of other artists and vandalized them by putting phallic-shaped objects, like what that mediocre Mideo Cruz did. The news said that the materials used in the making of the 26-ft Marilyn Monroe statue are stainless steel and aluminum. It will be displayed until spring of 2012. It’s available for all tourists to see until then. So, to all tourists going there, bon voyage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment