Thursday, July 21, 2011

"L’Autrichienne" - Movie About the Last Days of Marie Antoinette

I’m often asked why I’m so obsessed with the topic about Marie Antoinette. It all started when I first read about her and her demise in a general world history book (a book for high school students). I was in grade school when I read it. It’s my passion to learn about how people used to live in the past that led me to Marie Antoinette. I read that she was executed by the Revolutionists through the guillotine. That’s all I can remember. There were so many information missing that I ended up wondering how she felt about the whole thing; how she felt when she heard the Revolutionists' verdict, how she felt when she was on her way to the scaffold, how she prepared herself and things like that. So, I started looking for more information about her. I checked every book store I could find to look for information but unfortunately they’re not readily available. Until I checked the internet and saw abundant information. Some are false and some are true. It took me great lengths of research to separate false information from the truth. There were so many false rumors and accusations said about her that people still believe. So many people are lazy to do their own research so they settle with what they heard and leave it at that. I think it's unfair that her reputation is still being tainted until today. Finally, I bumped into the movie “L’Autrichienne” - a movie about the trial of Marie Antoinette – starring Ute Lemper. The casting is perfect. To me Ute Lemper is the best choice to play the role of Marie Antoinette. Ute Lemper is German and Marie Antoinette was Austrian, so it’s only fair to think that Ute Lemper’s French accent is also similar to Marie Antoinette’s. I first saw a trailer of L’Autrichienne done by another Marie Antoinette enthusiast – more thanks to her for introducing me to this great and hard-to-find movie. I looked for a DVD copy of it until I got a hold of it. For years I have been wondering about how Marie Antoinette felt when she was imprisoned. The movie showed it effectively; from the damp place where she was imprisoned, her trial and verdict. It also showed that Marie Antoinette was not in good health condition during her last days. It was said that it’s due to severe stress and anxieties. The movie effectively showed Marie Antoinette as a human being who had also felt fear, heartache and pain. She was neither a cold-hearted woman nor a cunning woman as she was pictured of the Revolutionists to be. She was a kind soul. She is innocent of all the things she was accused of and she faced death with courage and with dignity. L’Autrichienne is a great movie. I hope they will make it available in stores again, and this time, internationally.


No comments:

Post a Comment